Receiving Customer Profile Attributes from Segment
In this guide to integrating Segment with Talon.One we’ll walk you through the Talon.One destination in Segment. This will allow you to use your customer data stored in Segment with any BI tools and target your promotions more effectively based on Audiences you create in Segment.
Installing a Talon.One Destination
- From Segment’s UI, go to the Destinations page and click “Add Destination”.
- Search for Talon.One within the Destinations Catalog and confirm the Destination you’d like to connect to.
- Drop the “API Key” into your Segment Settings UI which you can find on your Talon.One Dashboard. Select [YOUR_APPLICATION] > Settings > Developer Settings > Create a New API Key
- Add your Talon.One Application Domain Name e.g. https://demo.talon.one.
- Add at least one Custom Attribute. These are Segment’s Custom Traits that link to Talon.One’s Customer Profile Attributes.
Segment Trait Types
There are 3 types of traits relating to a Customer Profile in Segment:
- Custom Traits
- Audiences (Customer Segments)
- Computed Traits
Setting up Custom Attributes in Talon.One
For all trait types, a corresponding Customer Attribute must be set up in Talon.One first. Any communication from Segment to Talon.One containing unknown Customer Attributes will be rejected.
When creating a Customer Attribute in Talon.One it must have exactly the same name as the trait name in Segment. The name is case sensitive.
Custom Traits and Computed Traits in Talon.One should be set as the same data type as in Segment.
Audience Data should be set up as a Boolean data type.
- In the Campaign Manager, click Home > See Developer Section > Create Attributes
- Select “Customer Profile” as the Associated Entity
- Select the corresponding Attribute Type (Always Boolean for audiences created in Segment)
- Enter the API Name (Internal). This should be exactly the same as the trait name that will be sent from Segment.
- Add the same name to the Talon.One Destination. On the Segment Dashboard, click destinations > Talon_One > Custom Attributes > Add Row > [YOUR_CUSTOM_ATTRIBUTE] > Save
Parent and Child Objects
Parent/child objects received from Segment are supported. The data will be flattened with an underscore between the parent and child's name.
This will be amended to address_city
Data Transfer: What to expect
When the Talon.One destination has been set up and the Custom Attribute are added to the Talon.One Campaign Manager, you can expect automated data transfer:
- Custom Traits - When a Custom Trait is gathered from a source and fed into Segment, the Talon.One destination app will check the app settings. If it exists it will automatically send the data to Talon.One.
- Audiences - When an Audience is created and linked to the Talon.One destination, Segment will check which users belong to this Audience and which do not. The Audience name and a true or false value will automatically be sent to Talon.One for each user that Segment knows about.
Should a user enter or leave an Audience, depending on the Audience settings in Segment, this data will be updated in real-time or on an hourly basis.
- Computed Traits - When a Computed Trait is created and linked to the Talon.One destination, Segment will first complete the calculation. The Computed Trait name and computed trait value will be automatically sent to Talon.One for each user Segment knows about.
Should a user’s computed trait change, it will automatically update in Talon.One.
Using Data from Segment in Talon.One
When creating a Condition for a Campaign Rule, you’ll now be able to create constraints based on the imported attributes from Segment. These exist under the “Profile” tab in the attribute palette.